Wednesday, January 29, 2014

I have a confession

*sigh* I didn't watch the State of the Union address last night. I think that's my first skipped speech in over 10 years.  I'm sure the anti-Obama legion is saying, "Right on, Sister! Join our excessively rude and possibly racist campaign to hate a living human being for ill-defined reasons!"  Alas, being anti-Obama is definitely not the cause (and I need more justification to hate a man than some half-phrases he supposedly said in college).  I am simply exhausted by politics.

I hate all rhetoric.  I'm disgusted by propaganda. I hate the us versus them theology (so irritated by every GOP who just sat there and didn't applaud. I don't freakin' care WHO is the President - show some bleeping respect).  I am incapable of supporting the falsehoods used by both sides.  I long for a bit of sanity.  I am not a hateful person, so I won't be joining the pro-defamation leagues beloved by adherents to each ideology.  I've just had it with the impossible.

I did hear a few snippets on the Jon Stewart show.  After talking about the President's plan to raise the minimum wage on Federal contracts, Jon Stewart said, "He's reached the effit point of his presidency."  Personally, I would have been there about 4 years ago.  President Obama really is a patient man.  I couldn't have held a single meeting with the House without throwing something (or someone) out a window and telling every single person to grow up and learn to compromise.

When did compromise become an ugly word? When did we lose the ability to talk to each other? When did we ever convince ourselves that being rude, boorish and stubborn would create anything other than chaos?  We have lost our respect for democracy.  And that, my friends, is much more of a threat to our existence than either party ideology.

So, I didn't watch.  I have lost my optimism.  I've always believed that people are essentially good, but, lately, Americans seem to only be "good" at being ignorant.  I still believe in America.  I just haven't seen the ideals we supposedly cherish in so long that being confronted by our current hypocrisy just causes me pain.  Yet I remain hopeful - maybe next year I will have found my political mojo once again.  Maybe next year, we will see democracy in action.  Maybe next year, we will actually be the land of the free and the home of the brave.  Maybe next year, we will invite the poor and hungry to our shores.  Maybe next year, we will praise God without judging others.  Maybe next year, we will care about our land, our air, our children, and our future.  Maybe next year, we will be a land of opportunity. Maybe. Just maybe.

Of course, the video today may explain part of my bah-humbug-ness of present.  I really need some food.  After gorging myself on cheese (see video), I only had 125 Calories for dinner.  I'm hungry.  Very, very hungry.  Oh so hungry.



But other than that, I had such a good project day!  In fact, it's 7:56 pm and I'm done! Yay!!



Daily Reporting Table
Task
Completed!
Partially Complete
Not completed

Physical/Emotional Goals
2 ½ cups vegetables
X


Caloric intake < 1500/day
X


300 min/week moderate exercise
X


Sleep 8 hours per day


X
Complete a brain exercise daily
X


Clean hands per CDC guidelines
X



Professional Goals
8 hours focused work daily
X


Arrive at work before 8:30 am
X


Wear make-up and fashionable clothes
X


Leave work at work
X



Spiritual Goals
Read scriptures 10 minutes per day
X


Pray on my knees twice daily

X

Meditate 10 minutes daily
X



Parenting Goals
Absolutely no harsh treatment
X


If I say it, I have to do it immediately
X


Family meals (No TV, sitting at table)

X

One-on-one listening time
X


Limit screen time to 2 hrs or less
X


Read for 20 minutes daily
X


In their own beds by 8:30 pm
X



Home/Finance Goals
Stick to a strict budget
X


Clutter-free home
X



Social Goals
Listen more than I talk

X

Speak only positive ideas
X


Call someone on the phone
X



Score: 22.5/25 = 90%  Woo hoo!

 

No comments: