Friday, January 31, 2014

Do you like baba ganoush?

Mystery solved! I decided to run an analysis of my diet (yes, I am a dietitian).  I had been eating only 77g of carbohydrate each day! At that level, my brain was starving.  The brain can run on free fatty acids but much less efficiently.  Thus, I felt like I was living in a haze.  I increased my carbs to 100-150 g per day.  Surprise, surprise...I feel much better.  Word to the wise: unless you enjoy being grouchy, hungry, exhausted and foggy, make sure you eat at least 100g carbohydrate per day.  You can find carbs in non-bread sources, including fruits, vegetables, dairy or dairy replacements, and beans.

Despite that discovery, I have yet another challenge: my hands are not holding up well under all this handwashing.  I'm fairly sure my skin is down 3 layers.





If you look closely, you can see how swollen and red my knuckles have become.  I'm not sure if it's the soap we use at home, the agitation of scrubbing, or just being washed so often.  I'm trying to apply lotion after each washing to see if I just need some moisturizing.  If not, it will be time to experiment with less abrasive soaps!




My big success of the day came when my mom and dad came over for dinner.  (She's responsible for me not getting my "listen more than I talk" badge.  I go into 4-year-old chatter as soon as my mom is around. No matter how old I get, I think she needs and wants to hear every minuscule detail of my life.  To be honest, I want to go on believing that she really does need and want that.)  When she walked in, she complimented me on my "clean" and "relaxed" house!  Success! I do love the rewards I've garnished along the way.



Daily Reporting Table
Task
Completed!
Partially Complete
Not completed

Physical/Emotional Goals
2 ½ cups vegetables
X


Caloric intake < 1500/day
X


300 min/week moderate exercise
X


Sleep 8 hours per day


X
Complete a brain exercise daily
X


Clean hands per CDC guidelines
X



Professional Goals
8 hours focused work daily
X


Arrive at work before 8:30 am
X


Wear make-up and fashionable clothes
X


Leave work at work


X

Spiritual Goals
Read scriptures 10 minutes per day
X


Pray on my knees twice daily

X

Meditate 10 minutes daily
X



Parenting Goals
Absolutely no harsh treatment
X


If I say it, I have to do it immediately
X


Family meals (No TV, sitting at table)
X


One-on-one listening time
X


Limit screen time to 2 hrs or less
X


Read for 20 minutes daily
X


In their own beds by 8:30 pm
X



Home/Finance Goals
Stick to a strict budget
X


Clutter-free home
X



Social Goals
Listen more than I talk

X

Speak only positive ideas

 X

Call someone on the phone
X



Score: 21.5/25 = 86%  Not bad!

For my own mental health, I am taking the weekends off.  Love my husband, but this much structure makes him crazy.  He wants a more spontaneous life.  Since he's only home on the weekends, I can indulge his wishes...except where bed time is concerned.  On that issue, I have become more than a little nit-picky.  It's just so nice to have some time to ourselves.

My last thought today is the reason for my cryptic title.  As I was watching The Taste (a.k.a. flavor by association), the guest chef asked the question in the title.  Most of the listeners nodded enthusiastically, but I noticed one who had obvious polite-face in place. Baba ganoush was NOT the menu item of choice for this contestant, but it was obvious that the social cues didn't allow a truthful response.

So, what's your baba ganoush? We live in a world where public shame has become the new morality.  What are you nodding politely about when you really have different ideas?  Even if you know what your baba ganoush is, what can be done about it?  In a world with so much shaming, is it even possible to be an authentic version of yourself?

Since I am friends with such a wide variety of people, my Facebook feed feels like ground zero for the culture wars.  I want to be a demilitarized zone, but I feel surrounded by baba ganoush.  I don't know what to do about it, so don't look for wisdom here.  Just a thought rambling around my brain.

No comments: