Monday, July 11, 2005

This Hermit Thing Could Be Addicting

Certain moments of human dominion over the planet impact me profoundly. Like the mass destruction I perform with a simple drop of bleach on a counter top. Superiority washes over me as the man-made chemicals chase helpless crowds of bacteria, swallowing the helpless populations in torrent destruction.

I hesitated with the bleach bottle, aware that my decision would possibly mean the annihilation of humanity. These bacteria, viruses and parasites formed the breadth of immunity over thousands of generations. I am murdering them. I chased a suspicious batch of black from the toaster cord. Perhaps, I pondered, that was the e.Coli strand that would stop the next black plague.

For one small moment, I considered the small children, shrieking in pain as the scientist ran screaming, “E.Coli could have saved us. Why did she destroy us? Where is the mold? Where the salmonella? The Campylobacter jejuni? If only we had given licenses for bleach – kept it from the hands of the induced OCD – then there may have been hope for humanity!” I knew all of this. As a medical professional, I give the ‘Germs are Good’ lecture daily.

Yet the bleach drop fell in the bucket, followed by a well-used rag, and a splash of water. A bit of scrubbing removed the last stains from the counter top. I leaned down to inspect my work and smelled the fresh chemical burn of sodium hyperchlorate.

Then I finished the floors, scrubbed the windows, limed the shower, washed the walls, polished the glass, and bleached all the linens. My house glimmered as streams of hot sunlight poured through spotless windows.

I sat back on the now-vacuumed couch to drink in the sanitary environment. It was perfect. Babies could eat on the floor and not receive so much as a sniffle. My company this weekend could rest easily knowing they wouldn’t leave with a touch of flu.

And, in case you had nothing better to ponder, that is what I did this weekend instead of going out….and I don’t regret it, not for a minute.* It isn’t often you get to massacre millions of living organisms without facing a tribunal in Switzerland (unless, of course, you chose to perpetrate evil in Africa – then you’ll be about as liable as I was to the germ population).


*I did see Wicked that night, though. It was excellent. Go and buy a ticket, even if you have never seen musical theater. I loved every minute – especially the jokes about whiny Dorothy. That brat deserved her comeuppance. I always had a soft spot for the “wicked” witch and her flying monkeys. Who wouldn’t go a little nuts with all that singing and cheerfulness?

21 comments:

cadiz12 said...

nothing beats standing back and drinking in the sparkliness of a freshly cleaned house.

i've been meaning to see Wicked, but it's harder to get tickets when Ana Gasteyer is the lead. glad to hear you liked it. i'll try for them again.

Johnny Menace said...

you should clean more often if you can visbly see bacteria or quit inhaling the cleaning product.

Bill C said...

Scroob will likely appreciate this subtle yet sharp-pointed post. I know I do.

Clever. As always.

omar said...

You should have gone to the Hill Cumorah Pageant instead. We could have hung out. Or hanged out? Whatever. You know what I mean.

ScroobiousScrivener said...

Quite right Jam, I certainly do.

Also, I too love that fresh clean feeling - alas, much harder to obtain now we have two housecats. Perhaps that is why I've transferred my longing for order to the garden. Weeds begone! Oh yes, I had a *marvellous* weekend...

Sarah Cate said...

Is it addicting or addictive? Tricky grammar question, there.

glo said...

"Seeing" bacteria is a family curse. It in no way relates to cleanliness. I can walk in the clean rooms of the hospital and be convinced they need a good scrubbing.

As for grammar - I don't know. Gave it up for lent.

Omar - you went to the Hill Cumorah pageant! How open-minded of you! I went when I was 11, but I don't remember much. I plan to go back one summer. The Church has renovated a lot of the historical sites and we have new temples that I'm longing to visit. Anyway, wish I had been there to hang out - would have been fabulous.

omar said...

Not exactly. But it's pretty close to me. So if by "went to" you mean "live somewhat near," then the answer is yes! I think it's about time you go again! I don't think it's done yet, grab a plane ticket and come on out tomorrow!

omar said...

The ratio of sentences to exclamation points was disturbingly high in that last comment, sorry about that.

A said...

Just thinking about your apartment as it must've been makes me happy :>

PDgirl said...

i love bleach more than anything.

i use it in every load of whites i have. a ton of it. my washer always smells like a pool when i'm doing whites.

bleach. a million and one uses.

glo said...

Wow, Omar. Your enthusiasm was a little scary. However, if my bro. were not getting married, thus necessitating I buy plane tickets to his 2-state, 3-days romantic festival, then I would most certainly come for a visit.

I didn't realize you lived so close to Palmyra! I find it a beautiful part of New York, and, as I have loads of history there, quite fascinating.

Mel, Min - you ladies are my support system.

omar said...

Sorry again. I got a little worked up because I've never met anyone in person who I first met over the internet. Maybe next year. Start saving your pennies now. !!

MEP said...

Oooh, I'm jealous. I want to see Wicked, but I think I would have to go to Chicago.

Yes, it's official. I'm jealous.

MEP said...

Poor Omar. I should rub it in your face that I have met 2 people in person that I met on the internet and one is my boyfriend . . . but I won't because that might make you feel bad.

glo said...

You should go to Chicago, then. It was wonderful (hee, hee).

And Omar is jealous. His Internet boyfriends never work out...

cadiz12 said...

chicago is the best for a bazillion reasons. there's definitely more than just Wicked here.

yeah, all it takes is to meet one person who doesn't take no for an answer to make anyone meet-shy.

omar said...

Thanks MEP, for not rubbing it in. That would have been tactless.

MEP said...

Your welcome Omar. That's me, full of tact. :D

glo said...

Noooo! Not paris and paris! i had a goal to spend 24 hours free of the pair and now you've ruined it.

Oh - and the "first word" was the joke...

Yes, buckets are evil. In the Dominican Republic, we had to haul water to our house. My friends and I experimented with every single known method. It was never easy, always a nightmare.

i now fill the bucket in the room and refill when I move. Wastful, yes, but much simpler and less slippery.

Kristin said...

This blog has such timing since I'm cleaning my apartment this weekend. (managment does an inspection once a year so I don't want them to know my **dirty** secrets...hee)
I love the smell in the air after using bleach...yum.