Friday, May 10, 2013

Delicious homemade pizza sauce

Not sure why I'm obsessed with what I'm feeding my family this summer...maybe it's just that I have time.  Anyway, I have perfected vegetable-based pizza sauce, so I'm sharing.  We eat "less-dirty" at home, so tomatoes, peppers and olive oil are organic.  The best part about our lunch was that my children ate 2 servings of vegetables without complaint!

A food processor or handheld blender with a chopping feature is essential to this recipe, though I think a blender would work fine as well.

Pizza Sauce

In food processor, place:

1 Tomato, split in half
2-3 cloves garlic (we like it spicy, so 3 is perfect).  Make sure you smash and peel.
1/4 yellow onion
1/4 red pepper
1 teaspoon Oregano (dried - adjust if using fresh)
1/8 tsp basil (optional - we don't love basil, so we leave it out)
Dash salt
2-3 dashes of pepper
1 teaspoon of olive oil

Process until you reach desired consistency.  Place in a fine colander to squeeze out excess water.  The sauce should hold its form and not soak into your crust. 

Warning: your sauce will be paler than what you expect from canned sauce (and full of many more nutrients).

We use multigrain flatbread as crust and then add toppings - today it was nitrite-free, minimally processed ham, organic mushrooms, red peppers and cheese (don't pretend pizza without cheese is even worth eating).  It was a hit with the husband and the children!  I'll post pictures when I get cooler - in the meantime, enjoy knowing what we ate today!

Now I'm off to record with my dad for Story Corps.  Very nervous, so wish me well!

No comments: