Monday, April 18, 2005

Solving a Great Mystery of the Ages

I’ve dropped a little weight lately (and by that I mean that I changed from the 20 pound to the 10 pound bar during PowerFlex) and it seems to have improved my intellect. In fact, during the mind-body section, I solved one of the great mysteries of life: male fascination with breasts. (I apologize in advance for this entire entry, but, alas, I am rude and insensitive. If you are male and easily offended, I suggest you stop reading immediately.)

My brilliant, diagnostic mind presented me with the answer in the memory of a conversation with my behavioral psychologist brother. He is amazing and full of interesting facts. One highly illustrative fact came in a conversation regarding cultural phobias. In one culture, a relatively common male phobia (meaning 1 man in 2 billion) involves the fear that if he becomes overly excited, his penis may withdraw rapidly into his abdomen, puncturing internal organs and killing him. I do not make light of this fear, but have often wondered what created it. Another of my conversations with my brother included the comment that phobias are generally related to dangers faced by the species. For example, spiders can kill people, so they are a common phobia. However, grass is usually benign, so a phobia of grass is not considered common.

So it seems to my trap-like mind, that the penis actually had to impale someone for this to become a phobia. Imagine that shock. One minute, Mr. Rough Luck is checking out the local hottie and the next moment, he is an obituary.

The important and stereotypical piece of this story is that ALL men (wink, wink) are incapable of expressing their emotions in healthy ways, thus avoiding the many hang-ups that ALL men (wink, wink) have. So, Mr. Rough Luck’s unfortunate event is witnessed by his friend, Chuck, who becomes haunted by the memory of MRL’s last words (I’ll let you figure out what they were). One drunken night, he tells the story to Dave who in horrified, drunken shock shares it with Jake who blabs about it to Ronnie, who is known to be a bit easily freaked out and now you have an entire culture with a strange shared phobia.

As I lay on my back in corpse pose, thinking of poor Mr. Rough Luck, I realized that this is why men feel the need to check in on themselves with shocking frequency. I have to admit that if there was a possibility that my erogenous zones were going to turn against me, I would try to keep watch on them. So, men (wink, wink) like to assess their functioning frequently – can you blame them?

This reasoning led me to wonder if the same idea could be applied to the male fascination with breasts. Suppose during the drunken discussion between Chuck, Dave, Jake, and Ronnie there was an additional moment of human concern for women. If sexual excitement could be so dangerous for men, they may have wondered, could it equally affect women? It was obvious that female genitals could not be the problem. However, women have TWO extensions right near their hearts! What if breasts suddenly turned to stone and crushed the women to death?

I am certain that this question plagued Chuck, Dave and Jake for a long time (Ronnie was still too busy freaking out about his member killing him). Finally, they realized that the only way to save their women was to keep a constant eye on the dangerous appendages sitting over their breastplate, and, to be REALLY certain that the women were safe, they would have to perform regular physical examinations as well. Perhaps they could even design a piece of clothing to sustain the breasts well above the danger zone, a garment that would create lovely ridges to improve the beauty of the community.

They shared their ideas in that usual guy way. Here is a snippet of actual conversation during whatever sport the men played back then:

“So, dude, women’s breasts.”

“What of them?”

“Watch ‘em, man. Just watch ‘em.”

That’s how it happened. Now generations have passed and while men may not be aware of why they feel the constant need to touch themselves and examine every set of breasts, it really relates to an inner protectiveness. Sweet, really, once you understand the history.

So, the next time some guy notices the nearly imperceptible stain on the underside of the left breast or grabs you on the subway, just remember how much he cares and try not to wish that his appendage will withdraw rapidly into his abdomen. It was really cruel of whoever once told those poor guys that was possible.

9 comments:

omar said...

After the first paragraph (and your history of insensitivity), I was so ready to defend myself and my fellow men.

After reading the whole post though, you've pretty much hit the nail on the head. Other than offering up a "thanks" to the fashion designers who make it easier for us to protect women, I've got nothing.

jazz said...

will try very hard to convince myself this story is true to be less offended by the stares...

but what is their defense for the "hey baby" and "can i take you home honey"

Sarah Cate said...

Sheer genius. You are an anthropological genius!

glo said...

That's easy Jasmine - it's how they get us to come close enough for the physical examination. They aren't known for conversation, as demonstrated in the post...(Disclaimer: I have great respect for men, well, some men, well, occasionally....)

I plan to publish this theory in a book to prove how much I appreciate the male gender for its never-ending crusade to protect my chest cavity. Will be reach anthropolgical genius!

glo said...

Okay, sometimes doubt my intelligence. How did I get 'reach' from 'rich'? This is what I get for typing blog comments while pretending to work.

ScroobiousScrivener said...

The logic is unassailable. I applaud your anthropological genius. Just one mystery remains: why are men then so appreciative of breasts unfettered by upholding safety devices? I guess it's the appeal of raw danger...

glo said...

It isn't 'appreciative' so much as 'attentive.' As they are unable to express their emotions (wink,wink) they are forced to act obsessed when they are really just plain terrified that at any moment, those breasts will turn to stone. That's why we should remember to spare their suffering and remain well supported in public--unless getting the physical exam, and then the garment just gets in the way.

omar said...

Again, nail on the head. Excellent work.

glo said...

In part 2, I plan to explore the evolution of male and female and its effects on the modern mating ritual...I'm sure I'll publish any day now with such a simple topic...